The CM Performing Arts Center will be holding Auditions for LA CAGE AUX FOLLES on Monday, February 17 and Tuesday, February 18 at 7:30PM in The Noel S. Ruiz Theatre. Please prepare 16 bars of music either from the show or in the style of. Please also come dressed in proper dance attire as there will be a dance audition following the vocals. If auditioning for one of the Cagelles, please bring Tap shoes. If you are unable to attend either audition date, please email a video submission to the Stage Manager, Karen Tese (Karen@cmpac.com) by Sunday, February 16th
DIRECTOR/CHOREOGRAPHER: KEVIN BURNS
MUSIC DIRECTOR: MATTHEW W. SURICO
STAGE MANAGER: KAREN TESE
About the Show
Georges is the owner of the La Cage Aux Folles nightclub, which features a drag show starring his partner and the love of his life, Albin. After twenty years of un-wedded bliss, Georges and his partner Albin facethe hardest challenge of their relationship, yet: when Jean-Michel falls in love and becomes engaged to the daughter of an ultra-conservative, anti-gay politician, Georges feels compelled to try to present a more “traditional” family to Jean-Michel’s potential in-laws. When Albin tries and fails to take on a masculine persona in the role of Uncle Al, he gets more creative in order to find a way to be part of the “meet the parents” experience.
- ALBIN (M, 40 – 60), Vocal Range: High Baritone, A#2-G4 – A loving, maternal, and proudly effeminate gay man who is the headliner at La Cage under the drag name Zaza, a fabulous diva who demands attention with every move she makes. Role requires a powerhouse performer with excellent comic timing. (Must be able to move well.)
- GEORGES (M, 40-60), Vocal Range: Baritone, G2-F4 – The charismatic owner of La Cage, where he is also the main emcee with a celebrated flair. Is lovingly devoted to his long-term partner Albin, and a doting father to his son Jean-Michel. Role requires a performer that can sing well, is energetic, and is a great comic actor. (Must be able to move well)
- JEAN-MICHEL (M, 18 – 30), Vocal Range: High Baritone, A#2-G4 – Georges’ charming son who has been spoiled by his loving parents. Somewhat of a playboy who has recently finished sowing his oats and fallen desperately in love with his fiancee Anne. Role requires being able to believably play 24 years of age. (Must be able to move well.)
- JACOB (M, 18-35) Vocal Range: Baritone, Bb2-Ab4 – The flamboyant butler to Georges and Albin with dreams of being a huge drag star. He balances all the tasks of managing the hectic household and making Albin happy, even though he may not have all the qualities of a good butler. Role requires a performer that is energetic and is a great comic actor. (Must be able to move well.)
- ANNE (F, 18 – 25), Vocal Range: Flexible – A sheltered girl who has just recently discovered her own sense of personal freedom. Is Dindon’s daughter, and fiancee to Jean-Michel.
- DINDON (M, 45-60) Vocal Range: Baritone, Bb2-Eb4 – A right-wing politician who is the Deputy General of the Tradition, Family, and Morality Party. Anne’s father, he is staunchly conservative, pompous, and bigoted. Role requires a performer that is a great comic actor. Will also double in the role of RENAUD. (Must be able to move well.)
- MARIE DINDON (F, 40-60), Vocal Range: Mezzo-Soprano, F4-A5 – Anne’s Mother, and the trophy wife of Dindon who stands by her politician husband. She is shy, retiring, and sexually repressed but sex-starved. She has moments of genuine caring that shine through, but are they are often silenced by her husband. Will also double in the role of MME. RENAUD. (Must be able to move well.)
- JACQUELINE (F, 30-60), Vocal Range: Mezzo, B3-F5 – A friend to Georges and Albin and the glamorous owner and operator of the Riviera’s most exclusive restaurant, Chez Jacqueline. She has a larger-than-life personality and imagines herself to be a much bigger celebrity than she actually is. Role requires a performer that can sing well, is energetic, and is a great comic actor. Will also double in the role of BABETTE. (Must be able to move well.)
- FRANCIS (M, 20-40) Vocal Range is open – The hard working stage manager at La Cage who is very used to the chaotic herding of drag queens. Ends up having a liaison with Hanna. Will also double in other roles such a Reporter and a Waiter. (Must be able to move well.)
- CHANTAL – An elegant drag performer who fancies themself an opera diva. (Needs to be able to sing operatically, in a coloratura style.)
- HANNA Vocal Range: Open – A feisty drag dominatrix who rules with a strong attitude and a whip. (Skills with a bullwhip a plus.)
- PHAEDRA Vocal Range: Open – An exotic and mysterious performer. Not the brightest
- MERCEDES Vocal Range: Open – The longest standing member of La Cage. A seasoned performer.
- BITELLE, ANGELIQUE, MONIQUE, AND CLO-CLO Vocal Range: – Beautiful dancers at the La Cage aux Folles.
Also seeking a SMALL ENSEMBLE of men and women to portray Townspeople of St Tropez.